Saturday, December 22, 2018

Run Lah

Every time I arrive at a new destination with opportunity to run, I let out a whoop of jubilation. Something in the air is so immediately liberating, so full of the promise of runner's high.

Listed as one of Malaysia's priority sites for ecotourism, Fraser's Hill is formed by seven rolling hills with undulating terrain, with almost 92 percent of land covered with virgin forest. The steep trails look challenging for running, but the cooling fresh air provides just perfect getaway from the hot and humid temperatures of the lowland.

The place is a haven for nature lovers, and I have yet to meet someone who runs and does not love nature. But isn't it true that stunning vistas could sometimes distract runners? I had to remind myself not be to distracted by an abundance of vegetation types and the myriad colourful birds during my the whole way through.

If you were to ask a zoologist why we run, he might answer we run because we are animals, and that's what animals evolved to do. Sometimes to run from predators. To escape. If there is a predator for me during Fraser's Hill run, that would be the tiny leech with two suckers lurking in the forest. Keeping leeches off isn't easy, no matter how fast you run. Yikes, I got one bite during the run, but it's pretty harmless. I wore that bloodletting wound as a badge of honour, after a quick Google search. "Why don't I enjoy the run to the fullest?" I minced.

No comments: