Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Jungle

Buzz.

My heart pounded with each passing of the mosquito buzz sound.

It was our two-hour walk through the jungle at the Forest Research Institute Malaysia, spending time to get to know numerous species of trees. A forested enclave about 45-minute drive from Kuala Lumpur. As soon as we started our hike, we heard the buzz sounds, first from cicadas and then the mosquitoes.

Argh, mosquitoes! My daughter wasn't wearing long-sleeves or full-length pants. Suicidal attire, I whispered to myself. "The bite won't last forever and we shall be fine," I waved off the mosquitoes and calmed my daughter, my heart fluttering in my chest.

But after all was said and done, nothing in the world could keep us from admiring, appraising and yes, embracing the leafy forest. We marched on, grateful that we could muster a smile because of an entertaining guide with impeccable knowledge on the trees. It's amazing to see my daughter completing the trek despite the mosquito bites.

Travelling strengthens our courage muscle, as the globe trotter Ashley Garver once wrote, while at the same time softening our ego. A matter of letting go.

No comments: