Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Verghese

Doctors' eyes wouldn't make any sense without being used to inspect for signs of disease. Odd as that might sound to you, every time, Dr. Abraham Verghese's eyes would be searching for signs. Not a day, maybe not even a waking hour, would pass empty of his peeping around, scrutinising people.

I've been reading his book The Tennis Partner, which has taught me the way Sherlock Holmes observes others. Verghese can't even stop himself observing naked tennis players in the locker room. On one man he saw a profusion of serborrheic keratosis. The next minute he came up with the idea of "Leser-Trélat sign" - a rare condition in which a slew of the usual seborrheic keratoses signifies an underlying malignancy.

Years ago, when I was a medical student, I picked up the habit of religiously observing passengers on a train or a bus. That's how our eyes, from habit, study people and look for diseases. A swollen neck with protruding eyes. A feeble liver from too much alcohol. And indeed, from time to time during my intern year, I found myself gauging the size of veins on others as if I have to insert peripheral intravenous catheters for them.

Try as I might, though, my habit can never be as professional as Abraham Verghese. One of my favorite quotes remains that of Verghese: "If you get on a hospital elevator, don't get off without making at least one diagnosis on your fellow travelers."

No comments: