Sunday, December 5, 2021

Birthday Party

Long ago, when my daughter was toddler, clueless, and looking for us to think of things to do, we decided the way of celebrating her birthday. Now that she turns twelve today, she has her say.

One thing I discover on seeing my daughter enjoy her way of orchestrating a sleepover party is how much she has grown up. She reveled in seemingly infinite topics of talking with three classmates she has invited. The four of them just kept laughing till midnight; their enery was astonishing.

By now, as I write this, after an hour of chasing swallowtail butterflies and kingfisher with my camera this morning, I have come to understand how much zoom telephotos matter for wildlife lovers. Come too close and the bird flies away. Too distant, no good. The same applies to my daughter. The relationship is complicated, that much is known, and we learn to keep a good-enough distance. A distance that would give both a balanced frame.

No comments: