Sunday, November 7, 2021

Nightingale

Can a book be too long? That certainly can be. Chances are, we can still handle a long one but not necessarily a heavy one. Sometimes, a book can be too heavy. So much so that I can hardly finish since I picked up the book four months ago.

Kristin Hannah is a lawyer-turned-writer who writes truly moving novels. She gives weight to the story that can't be forgotten. The Nightingale is one of her best historical novels. A captivating novel for a lifetime, narrating two women in war-torn France during World War II. The saddest story of a heroine saving over one hundred and seventeen men as she hiked across escape routes of the Pyrenees mountains. And that of her sister risking her life to save Jewish children from the invading Nazis.

I don't know how many of you can sleep well after reading chapters of women in concentration camp. I can't.

Kristin Hannah asked in an interview about her book, "When would I, as a wife and mother, risk my life - and most important, my child's life - to save a stranger?"

Most of us wouldn't. But it can be even worst: What good is safety if she - your child - has to grow up in a world where people disappear without a trace because they pray to a different God?


No comments: