Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Sunim

Not too long ago I was checking stats on my Fitbit: number of steps and my pace dashboard. Before my foot injury, it was hard to imagine my life reclaimed from slowing down.

The elbow crutches or leg crutch made me profoundly mindful of how to slow down.

Every single step is about being slow, the way we should take coffee in small sips to get the most of the aroma. And the speed of Earth's rotation seems to be no exception. Everything is slow. And, I’d add, I can enjoy longer-lasting stock of socks now that I wear only one sock instead of two.

Does it mean I enjoy the sloth's way of living? Hardly. In fact, I'm reluctantly giving up my pace, because I have to. In a sense, it's tough training for survival in an event of paralysis or injury. I shrugged my shoulders and sat down. Then I saw a message from a friend of mine, reminding me to pick up the book written by the Zen Buddhist guru Haemin Sunim, The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down.

Now, more than ever, I find the powerful voices from Sunim. That's what he writes:

Don't struggle to heal your wounds.
Just pour time into your heart and wait.
When your wounds are ready,
they will heal on their own.

No comments: