Friday, June 26, 2020

Heads Up

Let me introduce you to a social party game that will test your generation gap from your kids within minutes: Heads Up. 

It's a classic word game popularized by Ellen DeGeneres. I learned to play this game today when my daughter had a play day with her classmates at the end of school term. In short, you're supposed to hold a phone to your forehead that displays a term. You can't see the term but the game requires you to guess the term from your teammates' witty hints. The more terms you correctly name, the more points for your team.  

We chose the terms from categories like celebrities, brand names, characters, and trendy items. Intuitively, parents should outwit the kids. Or not. My daughter laughed when we lined up a team of grown-ups. And with good reason.  

My daughter and her classmates kept laughing. Many times. Out loud. The truth, as I now know, is that adults like me are strangers to many terms: Oscar the Grouch, Power Rangers, Teyana Taylor, iCarly, Millie Bobby Brown, and on and on.

No comments: