Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Shut

From the emotional anguish caused by social distancing to the ache of public libraries closing their doors, the coronavirus outbreak runs the gamut in ways we can't imagine. 

I could never have predicted that our public libraries remained shut for four months. At times, I feel like Robinson Crusoe who forgets to bring enough books from the wrecked ship since being marooned. And bereft it was.

As we are all adjusting to new way of living, we are supposed to reinvent ourselves. An obvious option, after library closure, is to have free online access to digital books. In the blink of an eye, we're supposed to have a wealth of reading materials, say, after the National Emergency Library in the United States offered free universal open library collection. 

Sounds perfect? The answer is yes. And no.

Alas, that's not entirely easy for someone like me who is not used to download e-books or audiobooks. I simply can't. The brick-and-mortar library and the printed books, ultimately, are choices as personal as the boxer shorts versus tight-fitting briefs. It takes every ounce of effort to switch from one to another. Every atom of you, still, wants to go back to the original choice. 

One hundred forty two days. That's how long it took for me to subsist on paperback books borrowed from my friends. Excitement didn't even come close to describing how I felt yesterday, when the public library next to my hospital reopened. 

Hallelujah.  

No comments: