Friday, January 29, 2021

School

The coronavirus has always been a rich source of new words for English. Or for me, at least.

Unknowingly, the word "webinar" has become way more popular than Ribena. Inarguably the lingua franca of our times. The idea of listening to webcast lecture is our new normal.

I set my alarm clock to wake up after midnight to learn about the controversial topic of school closure today. That's one day after my daughter returned to campus as soon as Government guidelines permit. At long last. Of course, it isn't full-scale yet but opening at not more than one sixth of the school's capacity.

And this is what my daughter did. She went to school for morning face-to-face session once weekly. Yup, a precious moment, reconnecting with friends. Perhaps the best part of her school lesson is the whereabouts of the classroom: the teachers move the classroom to the countryside on her school's doorstep. I was told that they were having indigenous animal tracking exercise, tree climbing and meditation.

We'd never been more content with school life before and it is probably my daughter's best lesson during the pandemic.

No comments: