Sunday, August 23, 2020

Gratitude

It is the first day of running after my foot injury.

Stifling as running with mask always is, the joy of being on the track again is hard to beat. I couldn't believe my ears when my Runkeeper app audio chronicled and tracked my pace - almost back to my previous one.

Instead of catching my breath as I sped, I sucked in my mask with each breath, huffing. It wasn't long before I came up with an excuse of not wearing mask: I could run much faster without mask to maintain social distancing than being dragged by a mask that sucks. Runners hate the mask and, I have to admit, I do, too.

I mentally didn't want to wear the mask. Yet something about my recovery helped get me up and running with a smile on my face behind the mask. I had decided to increase my pace and press on. The gift of being able to run again is simply too precious to risk losing. I know I shouldn't whine.

No comments: