Saturday, December 21, 2019

Change

My daughter is starting middle school next year. Chances are, middle school is all about change - new school, new teachers, new friends.

Come to think of it, change isn't happening overnight. Day by day, instead.

But we know. We know the change, say, when my daughter's favorite songs are no longer "Let it Go." Before I can remember the songs of Taylor Swift, her hit songs are now those of Billie Eilish.

Another obvious change I can notice is the genre of library books I borrow for her. My daughter is moving to read teen's literature like Fish in a Tree. Which is why I am choosing less and less picture books. These changes take place in steps, and can always be to-and-fro. Oh. I still pick a bite-size picture book now and then, as long as it is funny and illuminating. The best recent example is Amy Krouse Rosenthal's Friendshape.

A phenomenal capture of friendship with simple words and illustration. The book fits everyone's definition of beautiful. It's so lovely to be read to and it's heaven to be read to by your own child.

No comments: