Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Penguin

Lately, my daughter has been learning about the art of learning and her teacher asked her to understand how each person has different preference to learn.

She came home and interviewed me last night, throwing me questions like something I've done that I am most proud of.

"Hmmm, I would say start learning to run at the age of 46," I told my daughter and pondered what else can be better than this answer.

I soon realized that giving my daughter such answer is akin to telling teacher her daddy was caught smoking pot. "Daddy, another answer please. Isn't it too embarrassing to tell Mr. Yiu your age?"

I didn't push and respected her feeling, of course. But what if I'm really serious to elaborate on my first answer?  The best justification would then be showing my daughter the book I've been reading: An Accidental Athlete. That's a witty memoir of John Bingham, known as "The Penguin" for beginning to run at age 43, overweight, saddled with a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoking habit, and then completing over 45 marathons. When you start running after decidedly middle-age, as what the Penguin did, it's easy to forget that while the activity is brand-new, your body isn't. In the end, though, it's all a matter of wit and grit.

The Penguin has true grit. That's what I've learned, and continue to learn, from him.

No comments: