Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yes

I couldn't believe it when my brother brought me the book Difficult Conversations, before he knew that I'm going to take a mediation training course this month. This book might not be new to you, but in case it is I should say that it comes from the same group who wrote Getting to Yes.

Think about the last time you felt the urge to get your boss, your spouse, your friends or colleagues to say yes. It's no secret that today many of us feel that it's harder to negotiate and to foster a supportive environment when we need it most. It hurts.

Yeah, yeah. I know what you're thinking (after reading my last blog). And you're wrong. No, I am not learning to negotiate with my daughter. The truth is, believe me, a toddler is the most simple friend to go along with. What could be easier than to ask a toddler to say yes? Take a moment to teach a toddler to say yes or nod her head. Well, she might not follow - or she might just shake her head. Now, forget the teaching and simply play with a creative mind. Any imaginative game works; it really does. We showed Jasmine a little fairy Unazukin, a Japanese doll who reacts to voice by nodding and shaking her head. She loves that game. After talking to Unazukin and, hey presto, Jasmine learned to nod.

No comments: