Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yes or No

Toddlers love to give "no" for an answer, and my daughter is no exception.

My nephew Ethan learned this fact when he came from the States to visit Jasmine. "Why does Jasmine shake her head every time I ask if she loves me?" Ethan wondered.

Yeah, when it comes to a one-year-old's way of communication, shaking head is much easier than nodding. I was trying to explain a toddler's difficulty with saying yes. Before I could convince Ethan, I found it difficult to convince myself, too. Many of us think that toddler is the only creature to keep saying no, but nothing could be further from truth.

As we grow up, we get glued to the answer "no." Saying yes has become an act of extreme courage, even for adults. Long before we could remember it, the all-purpose "No!" has ruled this world. If you don't believe me, ask your spouse (or your child) to keep a diary for one week and count the times you agree with her ideas. And, would you like to share with me your scores? "No!"

No comments: