Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Nancy

A story moves people. 

Tell a story, Nancy Hopkins was told by the faculty chair at the Massachusetts Institute. This is how the molecular geneticist and cancer researcher navigated her way to win the fight for her “women’s work. 

In turn, the Pulitzer Prize winner Kate Zernike retold the heartbreaking story of Nancy. I didn’t need a tape measure or statistics chart to learn the demoralising path of gender equity. After I read the behind-the-scenes account of Francis Crick’s hands on Nancy’s breasts, I knew what is meant by inequities. Ditto for sexual assault by the renowned biologist who had founded the journal Cell

I knew the meaning of discrimination when Nancy could not even get an equal share of fish tanks for her zebrafish research. I was furious. And who won’t?

No comments: