Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Early Bird

This is the second day of the new year. A Tuesday morning with sunshine behind the cloud, as shy as Bambi hidden behind his mother.

I was heading to Section 2 of the Lantau Trail, all the way from Pak Kung Au to the iconic Stone Chalet. Normally, on a Tuesday like this, rather than walk in the countryside, I would work in the hospital seeing one patient after another without break, grabbing a cup of coffee or two at best. But on this day, I broke the rule and took a day off to climb the slopes of Sunset Peak and Yi Tung Shan.

If there's one thing Lantau has in spades, it's the hiking routes for everyone. As the second loftiest peak in Lantau, Sunset Peak has matched well, if not outshone, the majestic Lantau Peak nearby. The legacy of Sunset Peak, as its name implies, remains the unmissable sunset view, and the best way to soak up the breathtaking view is getting there at the right time.

I didn't stay till sunset today, however. One of my private patients got sick and had to be admitted to hospital. "Never mind," I told my buddy who came with me. "We shall come back on a clear day. Soon." 

No comments: