Sunday, November 26, 2023

Record

I believe with every cell of my body that running with my daughter is one of the best activities. I am a keen runner; my daughter isn't. That means I have to wait for the month before her school sports day.

To eke out the most happiness from such once-a-year chance, we go to the sports ground for running drills. Not once. Not twice. Many times.

From my perspective, this is a perfect daddy-daughter date idea. We ran until we couldn't breathe. We laughed at the absurdity of jokes until our bellies ached.

My recent reading of parenting book on guiding teenage girls let me know how lucky I am, and how trusthworthy my daughter is. We got our seats at the spectator stand because the sports ground wasn't open for practice when we arrived today. We played a few Word Cookies online games, shared our phone message activities with each other. In moments like these, our thinking narrows, sharpens, connects. I heard about her story on digital technology use such as her strategies to keep the personal Instagram account from out-of-bounds followers.

Getting to know daughter's track record of responsible online behaviour, on looking back, is even more valuable than beating her personal record of a track event in the sports ground.

No comments: