Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Ski Pole

I don't think I am a good skier, and even more so after our family encountered heavy snowfall in Japan this week. 

Skiing in a cold snap has cost me heavy lactic acid load today after repeated falls and pushing up from snow.

For a novice like me, learning to ski is tough. The older you grow, the tougher it is. I struggle to remember ski technique 101: learning which leg I have to put my weight to make parallel turn, to lean forward but not back to avoid falling, and how to position my skis and poles to get back up after falls. Getting off-kilter on ski track, believe me, is as scary as accidentally pressing the WhatsApp group call and fumbling to find the cancel button.

Thankfully, my family ski trip started after my recent reading Tom Vanderbilt's Beginners, an inspiring book for a lifelong quest of learning, at any age, and on any subject. As I took the chairlift with my daughter, I was brimming with pride. Not a proud and professional skier. More as a proud dad who can share the precious moment of learning together with my child. I knew that I would struggle. That I would fall. But the joy on the ski track with my daughter has made my life feel richer.  


No comments: