Sunday, August 28, 2022

Kayak

A few weeks ago we had a seaside hotel stay with another family who are good friends of mine. We had known each other since school days, the sort of friendship that you can find in Hogwarts School. Our plan to go kayaking had come to naught last time because of tropical cyclone.

We scheduled our kayak trip today.

Choosing to paddle in the open water is not my usual modus operandi. But the aquamarine waters of Sai Kung is attractive in its own way. Braving the hot weather, we brought along our sunscreen, water bottles and snorkel masks. The sea resplendent with multi-coloured kayaks, I'm glad to have captured it photographically. Absurb as it may sound, I did bring along my Nikon camera. And yes, you read that correctly: a full-frame mirrorless camera. The view is truly memorable, but it pays to be careful. What I lack in water sports skill I more than make up for with determination not to capsize.

The journey of chat and splash of paddles, as it turns out, is more fun than I'd imagined. Ask Ratty in Kenneth Grahame's novel The Wind in the Willows, and he will tell you, "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." If you were to ask me, I would say, "No. Please, no splash of water to get me wet; my camera doesn't need washing."   

No comments: