Thursday, February 3, 2022

Present

If we choose to live our lives like a monk, it means we tell our monkey mind to be present to the moment. A seemingly simple mantra but easier said than done.

Jay Shetty - the oracle of mindfulness, the award-winning storyteller, the author of inspiring Think Like A Monk- once wrote that we're almost always somewhere else. Instead of thinking about what mattered in the past or what the future might hold, we are taught to "be here now." After all, the past is unchangeable, and the future is unknowable.

His teaching is life-changing, that much is clear. I was working late at hospital tonight and could not finish admitting patients until midnight. I decided to run back home. Little did I know, when I was planning my run after work, it was a blustery and rainy night. Fat raindrops dotted my short-sleeved tee, mingled with the moisture on my face, soon after I started my run. Regardless of the weather, I told my monkey mind to go ahead and be present, as I felt the cold air against my skin, my breath traveling through my body. I willed myself not to take short cut by train, even though the monkey mind wanted to.

And that's a good exercise to practice tuning in to my mind.


No comments: