Saturday, September 4, 2021

Vivek

Before I borrowed the international bestseller Surrounded by Idiots today, I've been reading a novel The Death of Vivek Oji.

The "idiots" book isn't really talking about idiots. Nothing can be further from the truth; the so-called idiots are simply four kinds of people based on their key behaviour types. With a simple colour code system, humans aren't that difficult to understand and interact with. Okay, my friend, the formula goes like this: Reds are dominant and commanding: Yellows are expressive and optimistic; Greens are laid-back and understanding; and Blues are systematic and logical.

Now, if that sounds easy and neat, go and read the story of Vivek Oji. Where should I start? Here's the plot: Vivek was born on the day his grandmother's death and he was raised in Nigeria. The nail-biting stack of photographs showing Vivek's life crisis would then be developed one by one as you went through the chapters. Vivek was alone. Nobody really understands the colour code of Vivek. In his own words, "I'm not what anyone thinks I am. I never was. I didn't have the mouth to put it into words, to say what was wrong, to change the things I felt I needed to change."

Vivek wished he would have been named Nnemdi, but it's a name for girl. This frustrated Vivek. Years rolled by. Life went on to pigeonhole Vivek into fighting with cousin in backyard, SAT prep classes, boarding school, all the way till his tragic death in an accident. The grave of Vivek read: Vivek Oji, beloved son. It would be quite a challenge for his parents to solve the colour code, before the grave inscription was finally changed to Vivek Nnemdi Oji, beloved child.

No comments: