Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Tuesday

Long haul work has been part of my life so long it has become embedded in my DNA. Sometimes it is the full day clinic during which I experience the flow according to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and sometimes it is the every-now-and-then deadline I can hardly beat. But it is always there.

Lately, I realize that I should be more flexible.

Do I have to head back to hospital right after seeing our daughter off on the early morning bus at seven? On reflection: no. At least not on Tuesday. That's the only weekday I don't have clinic until nine.

Shortly after coming up with this idea, I have been spending that one "sabbatical" hour with my wife before starting work for several Tuesday mornings. That's how we can plunge into our favorite place of wilderness. A stroll at our alma mater university. A short walk at Sai Kung. Plus a perfect cup of coffee each time, before my work in full swing. Perfect indeed. A minibreak could fill a day to overflowing, apparently.

No comments: