Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Pause

The school term is beginning. And, strange as it sounds to me, my daughter's summer holiday ends at the very height of summer. The day is still simmering like a freshly made hot dog, and it's intermingled with rainy spells, the way it can be in midsummer.

Before her school starts tomorrow, I have taken a day off to let our brains enjoy downtime. We had a short waterfalls hike to fuel up and to cool down. Downtime gives us the pause button, making us maximally effective. We toggle between full attention at work and free-form attention. If we fly out of the town (like what we usually did before the pandemic), we can get the sense of you-can't-reach-me freedom by putting our phone on airplane mode.

It's funny to consider short break - like a day off now and then - one of the least chaotic ways to switch on and switch off. So now, people have every reason to find me when I have short break - and no excuse for seeking complete solitude. All of this means that we aren't categorizing our time into binary opposites - much as we like to do so - and won't be completely on or completely off. It's also one reason why I like the short break. For one thing, I don't have to cram extra work at the last minute before vacation. And then, no more stressful return-to-office "mountain of work".

And there, with a simple swipe of working mode and downtime, I have my perfect way of family holiday.

No comments: