Sunday, September 27, 2020

Forest

For this school year, nothing is more challenging than the socially distanced class.

With the new set of ground rules in classrooms, school is no longer what it used to be. The good news is that we have found an extraordinary secondary school for my daughter. When I received the notice of out-of-class learning from her school early this week, I didn't think twice before clicking the reply link. 

That's a canyoning experience (yes, into the canyon!), with challenges provided by abseils and supervision by outdoor education teachers. When I heard about how the students got wet (totally wet at times, including their masks), I realized the way it's called a forest school. That also reminded me how the school teacher recommends us Richard Louv's Last Child In The Woods in the welcome letter for parents.  

Nothing beats a school bringing kids into the woods. A zoom classroom, without question, can't.

No comments: