Sunday, February 10, 2019

Sprain

Injury during ski does happen, and I had mine in Hokkaido.

After buying an all-mountain pass, an electronic tag gave me access to all chairlifts and gondolas. I knew my standard pretty well and confined myself to beginners' terrain. That's what green circle ski slope rating symbol stands for. A green trail is de rigueur for those in search of adventure but not too thrilling one. Strange though it might seem, I still sprained the medial collateral ligament in my left knee on a green slope.

I fell. A bad fall. Gratefully, I didn't hear a pop sound, and still could stand up wobbly. Maybe I didn't tear my ligament. Yet.

I pressed on my left knee and tested the movement, seized with a sudden and foreboding dread so immense, so tense, that I could almost feel the terror pulsing inside me.

"Can I run again?" I stared at my knee, mouth agape. That's for me to worry about.