Monday, January 8, 2018

Nudge

You're not alone if you do not know Richard Thaler.

Not anymore, after he has become the Nobel prize winner.

I came across his book Nudge in Time magazine almost ten years ago. The thought about checking out this book, nevertheless, didn't materialize. It seems like a good illustration of inertia. One of the reasons for my wish to learn more about nudge theory is my hospital chief's nudging three months ago. If there is a stronger driving force, it's the long waiting queue when I made reservation for Nudge at the public library system. I just could not believe that more than twenty people had been waiting for this book ahead of me.

The mere fact of scarcity drives us to desire the book even more. And the story that customers appear more attracted to restaurants with a long line waiting for a table illustrates similar psychology.

I'm pleased to have my turn (eventually) to borrow the book Nudge today. And there is an obvious catalyst for me to finish the book without delay: I won't be allowed to renew this book after two weeks, with the long queue of waiting behind me.

No comments: