Thursday, November 2, 2017

Writing

As a greedy reader, I seldom finish one book before opening another one. My recent reading list include The Best Place to Work: The Art and Science of Creating an Extraordinary Workplace and 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success.

When I turn the pages of these two books, I keep writing down the lessons I have drawn from them.

Keeping a journal and reflecting my daily experiences, for as little as 5 minutes a day, make me a clearer thinker. Time is not on my side lately. This fall, I am appointed the head of my department. Inevitably, I find it difficult to let go of the mental clutter that problems are everywhere. I can't control when our medical wards become flooded. I can't even quite grasp the email messages that are catapulting at me one after another. But I know I can list all my worries and questions on a piece of paper. As it turns out, writing down an optimistic but reasonable goal is only the first step; the next one is to share that with a colleague. This makes it harder for me to wimp out.

Which is why it's helpful to write and share. And that, in fact, includes writing this blog.

No comments: