Saturday, November 18, 2017

Gorilla

I had to have a giggle. It just seemed so silly. I read quips and quotes from a book Literary Wit & Wisdom. One of the collections reminds us the eerie fun of teaching poem: I can't understand these chaps who go round American universities explaining how they write poems; it's like going round explaining how you sleep with your wife.

You thought I was going to teach you in the same manner? No way. Don't ask me why, but the sappiest, most inspirational kind of poem can come from kids. Really, they do. Here is one poem written by my daughter recently:

Would you eat a gorilla or a lion?
I would eat a lion
I suppose it’s very healthy
And also full of iron
A lion would be tasty
As you are for the lion
But if the lion ate you
You would end up cryin'
I would eat a gorilla
Suppose it’s very sweet
Sweet like my best friend Salena
Salena’s sweet like a gorilla 
Which swings from a chandelier
Would you eat a ...
Gorilla or Salena
A lion or some iron
A cryin’ lion or
A chandelier?

No comments: