Monday, June 12, 2017

Veterans

One hot Sunday morning this summer, I picked up my casual footwear and started running. It seemed like a nondescript day. But this kick-started a healthy habit. Right away, running feels like the next right thing. I ran again the next day, and then the next, and the next after that. Ballpark figures showed that I've run for more than 15 kilos during my first week.

It was a hockey stick moment. Even more so for a bookworm without exercises for years.

Go read any book on distance running, and you'll notice that runners starting after age 40 are being referred to be veteran runners. I'm obviously qualified for that title.

But what, anyway, is old?

I am not even eligible to join the Fifty-Plus Runner Association. Plus, a review published two months ago in Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases suggested that an hour of running statistically adds seven hours to our life expectancy. My friend, let me keep my running log, and sooner or later, I'll be younger than you.

No comments: