Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Pig

"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."

As trite as the quote by C.S. Lewis has become, it is still true. I enjoy reading children's books with my daughter during breakfast. What did we read this morning? The story Piggybook by Hans Christian Andersen Awards laureate Anthony Browne.

The Piggot family's messy situation in this picture story somewhat reflects my state of mind and, as such, makes the book even more amusing. Mr. Piggot and the two children never share the housework, leaving Mrs. Piggot overloaded with preparing breakfast and dinner, washing dishes, ironing, to say the least of her own job. Working mum like Mrs. Piggot can be incredibly hardworking. Everything seems perfect, until one fine day when the hardworking mum decided to stage a walkout.

Can you imagine what happens to the the lazy bum Mr. Piggot? If not, come to find me (when my wife is sick and cannot take care of my daughter), and you'll know.

No comments: