Sunday, December 4, 2016

Daring

Daring Greatly is another book I've read this month. An inspiring book about difficult emotions like fear and vulnerability.

I found the same formula playing out in my family this week. Fear about surgery. Vulnerable to insecurity. And, oh, question about self-worthiness: me never good enough to have warm pillow talk with my daughter (as what my wife has always been doing perfectly). Me not as eloquent or poised as my six-year-old daughter in expressing love to my wife.

It's good to learn from Brené Brown that vulnerability isn't good or bad. It dawns on me that to feel is to be vulnerable. Vulnerability, in short, is the birthplace of love and courage. I know this is hard to believe, but it's true. It's in fact also what I learn from Lawrence Block, who says it all: "Fear and courage are like lightning and thunder. They both start out at the same time, but the fear travels faster and arrives sooner. If we just wait a moment, the requisite courage will be along shortly."

If you don't believe me, check out the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz.

No comments: