Sunday, April 10, 2016

Book

Robin Sharma, author of The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, once wrote, "Never go anywhere without a book under you arm."

How true. So many of us spend time idling on commute time and standing in line. As a matter of fact, the U.S. News and World Report reported that, over the course of our lifetime, we will spend five years standing in line. I repeat, five years in a lifetime.

Is idling a must? Not necessarily. Is the waiting a waste of time? Probably not. Is it an opportunity to take a break? Who knows? But one thing is certain: I enjoy reading at the same time of waiting in line. I cannot tell you how many books I have finished on the road, and how many of them I wouldn't have been able to cover if I confine my reading habit to that in a study or library.

To this day I keep the habit of carrying a book wherever I go. In the words of John Dryden, "We first make our habits and then our habits make us."

No comments: