Thursday, September 17, 2015

Title

The topic of addressing people is always complicated. This is even more complicated when you have more choices than first name and family name. The third choice, in my case, is the title called "Doctor."

Being addressed by my doctor colleagues as "Dr. Chow" has become unbearably heavy. And yes, they sometimes call me like this even in casual conversation or e-mail. If you think this is more appropriate than calling me "KM," I will not argue otherwise. In theory, courtesy is good, right? Well, you can't blame a person for being polite. But I find this way of calling me too polite, and sometimes awkward. As it turns out, the title makes me squirm more often than not.

The way I want to wriggle away from being called "Dr. Chow" is somewhat personal, I know. This could be contrary to what most people think. Today, I know I'm not alone after reading Emily Transue's Patient by Patient. I brought this book by the inspiring professor of clinical medicine for my conference trip to Korea. As Transue wrote in her book, she hadn't always been comfortable being called "Doctor."

Thinking back, she realised that her experience with the title "Doctor" was titillating, and even more so when she was a medical student. Consider it a dream title for someone who is still on the bumpy road to becoming doctor. The title "Doctor" seems distant and precious for young students. Medical students view the title "Doctor" the way children view their parents' clothes - they can try on them and it's okay to play in them, but unimaginable that they would fit someday.

With time - and years of working experience under her belt - Transue was no longer bothered by the question of identity. She knows very well she is a real doctor, even without being referred to as "Dr. Transue." And me too. So yes, if at all possible, call me "KM."

No comments: