Sunday, September 13, 2015

Crayons

Hugh MacLeod believed that everyone is born creative and everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. For him as for most people, puberty means taking the crayons away and replacing them with dry, uninspiring books on algebra, history, etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the "creative bug" is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."

When did that voice come back to me?

After my daughter has arrived, of course. Well, I enjoy the crayons.

Now I know that having a kid is a supple springboard for the right to reclaim my old box of crayons. And in turn, getting the crayons helps keep our children busy with many creative projects. Crayons simply means a "useful box" of tools. That could refer to left-over egg boxes, bottle tops, straws, bits and pieces turning into new designs.

Truth be told, most of the credits go to my wife. After all, she has been at the helm of many projects at our home. My daughter is incredibly fortunate to grow up with her creative mum. When our sister-in-law moved house the other day, we were given many of her left-over carton boxes. Treasure boxes, yes. Alas, we improvised an automobile from those boxes. This project lasted for two months. We cut out windows, assembled the car, decorated the vehicle with fog light, steering wheel, rear mirrors and name plate. We added the finishing touches today after buying a skateboard.

Big enough for the kids to drive. Whirrrrrrrrr. Off we go.

No comments: