Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blessed

Caring for a sick child, and what's the first thing you want to do?

Jasmine started to throw up for quite a few times last night. My wife had a quick examination of her tummy and didn't find anything serious. Or, to be strictly accurate, not that serious for a doctor. I dare say there won't be something called minor ailment for all parents. Ah well, still, there isn't much we can do except waiting for the virus to go away.

She looked less tired today but didn't want to eat. On our way to the music class later this afternoon, my daughter and I were rapt in conversation when I read her a story. She interrupted me, toward the end of our train ride. "Daddy," she said. "I have to vomit."

Without thinking, I handed my daughter a bag.

She paused, then looked at me. "Maybe I can hold for a while ... and try not throwing up."

I glanced at my daughter, and then at the bag I was holding. Oh, I'd given her a duffel bag with her name on it. That would have ruined the nice bag. Which is what my daughter didn't want to do.

I looked around and found another plastic bag for her. She was by now feeling better. I put the plastic bag away, sat closer to her, leaned over and hugged her.

There was a momentary silence. "Dad," my daughter looked at me and whispered, "I'm afraid I could give you my germs."

Then I realised my daughter has grown up a lot.

No comments: