Sunday, September 28, 2014

Birthday

What is your secret birthday wish by the time you turn 44?

Mine: Rewind the calendar and travel back by one year.

An irrational response, but a common one.

As irrational as this is, it makes sense, and I won't go into detail as to how my wife felt when Jasmine said she wants her mom to deliver her baby when she becomes a mother herself.

From the very moment I set eyes on my daughter's black-and-white photo taken inside the womb until she goes to primary school this year, the clock starts ticking. It's the clock that times my hours with Jasmine, my experience of seeing her grow up, her need for my attention, protection, wisdom, and love. Our time is limited, I know.

I was told that all dads only have eighteen short years before our daughters are on their own. And that means I should make the best use of my time with her before I'm too old.

No comments: