Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hueys

Guess what? When it comes to the world of the Hueys, wherever they go, whatever they do, whatever they think and wear, it will be the same.

Like it or not, in the story written by Oliver Jeffers, the Hueys eat the same and look exactly the same.

By same, I mean the little cute Hueys look like a crowd of Dolly coming right out of cookie cutter. A robot way of living and seeing. My daughter exclaimed, "Oh my, I would be in great trouble calling my students if I were their teacher."

As I read picture book, I was drawn to the sheer joy of seeing how my daughter figured out the essence of the story herself. Amazing. She came up with the question and told me her answer.

"See daddy, I don't think we have to be the same. Chile and I aren't the same, but we're friends. Selina and I are different, too. Right?"

After writing hundreds of story pages for kids, Zilpha Keatley Snyder summed it up this way: "The answers aren't important really... What's important is - knowing all the questions."

No comments: