Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Walk the Talk

When we fall in love with arguing with people, it is a good feeling that will lead to a darn bad effect. Dale Carnegie claimed that we can't win an argument. We can't because if we lose it, we lose it; and if we win it, we lose it. Why? As often happens, the moment we triumph over the other man and shoot his argument full of holes in an apparently landslide victory, we feel good. But that particular person gets hurt and resents our triumph. And, according to Carnegie, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Let me tell you my story. My friend phoned me up yesterday about her mum, who has been seeing me for high blood pressure. She is worried about the "water pill" that I gave her mum, and asked for a "better one." Not every doctor would like the idea – and I bet that many do not – to be challenged. I wasn't sure I'd heard her correctly. "Problem?"

"No, not really, but in case that medication gets rid of too much salt from my mum."

I sighed. I knew there seemed to be nothing I can do, although I have checked her mother's salt level after starting the humble medication. She'd won and I knew it. That medication, indeed, is far cheaper – at least ten times less expensive than those you see in the advertisement. "Fine," I said humbly, "I'm glad that you raised the concern, and yes, I couldn't see the problem with switching to another class of drug. Let me know when she is ready to come to see me."

One final reference was necessary, I thought to myself, after hanging up the phone. So I sent my friend a short message, "Forget to tell you I give the same drug to my mum for her blood pressure. It is not a second class drug, really."

Do I have to tell you the rest of the story, when she replied me about her final decision last night?

4 comments:

K said...

Hmm.. do you think that should be a reason why doctors/ hospitals should not be able advertise?

kkekeke... actually, I was wondering why you didn't just discuss guidelines with her?

Edmond Chow said...

Sharing that you give the same drug to our mum will be the most convincing evidence that you can give to your friend that the drug is good. I think you should have brought this up right at the beginning.

TW said...

I think a even more convincing evidence would be " I am giving the same medication to my MOTHER-IN-LAW!" hahah.

Anonymous said...

This happens! Looking at another angle, it stresses the importance of not to introduce emotion into a doctor-patient relationship, for even if your friend knows about medicine, his judgement easily goes wrong simply because she's his mother! So, KM, try to refer your mother to see somebody else!