Sunday, April 28, 2024

Insult

Digital communciation is one of the most common channels for discussion. Whenever we can't (and often we can't) talk face to face, we make use of the live chat, emails, text messaging or voicemail.

What many people don't realize is that navigating the digital communication – and being successful in getting the message across – is a herculean task. If there's one thing you should know about the pitfall, it's the way to respond to an insult.

I soon came to realize that I am not the only one who had been having difficulty with coming up with a perfect witty reply. An article in this month's issue of Time magazine taught me the way to shut down the dialogue instead of being nervous after sensing a threat. 

Many a time I wished to fight back like a dingo slashing a bloodied wombat and dropping it in front of people. That doesn't work and isn't wise. Don't fight back. Smile.

The two most useful replies I'd learned from the Time magazine include: "I don't get it. Can you explain the joke?" and "What a wild thing to say out aloud."

Either of them is a reply that I'm sure sends shivers down the spine of anyone who dares to insult me.

Try it next time and you will laugh and laugh and laugh and wonder who is happier, the one who insults or you.

1 comment:

Victor Tse said...

Old friend, I was going through my old blog posts and discovered that you are still writing fascinating posts worthy of a published book. Have you thought about publishing your blog post as a book?

Indeed, a light smile is the right approach to handle insults. It reminds me of how Buddha handles it with the 'Gift" approach. If someone gives you a gift that you do not accept, the gift goes back to the sender. Those "insults" are gifts. I don't find them useful. It is all yours:)