Saturday, October 29, 2022

Outward Bound

Outward Bound School is not a school, strictly speaking, but an adventure program, a chance to learn perseverance, or a life lesson. 

When I and my wife mention the Outward Bound sea diploma course we’d taken 27 years ago, it is impossible not to speak with fond memories. My heart still speeds up – and contracts with fluttering – when I think of the expedition from Sai Kung to the South China Sea and back to Lantau. That was when we just graduated from medical school, before embracing the year of internship. An ideal reason to get ourselves prepared physically and mentally.

We had not recently thought much about the Outward Bound course until my daughter is going to join their course next week. Our family are all excited, in ways no less than we were 27 years ago. To this day some of the Outward Bound challenging activities are unsurpassed – and are likely to remain so. We were antsy. Of course no Outward Bound students expect an extravagant trip. More of a jolt is the pre-course information that there will be no shower for the hiking and sea kayaking trip until the last day of the whole week.

"Okay," I said, wide-eyed, realizing the once-in-a-lifetime experience for my daughter next week.

No comments: