Monday, March 21, 2022

Schadenfreude

Let me be the first to confess that I've been having unbridled antipathy towards patients coming to hospital, sick with the virus but without vaccination. I'd describe myself as having difficulty with being neutral to antivaccination folks, even I know pretty well a doctor shouldn't be.

The terrifyng rage moment of seeing the unvaccinated status, every time I admitted such patients, would set off a curse inside my head. God forbid, I know how a doctor should have behaved otherwise. But still.

Enter Brené Brown, American professor, long-time researcher on shame and vulnerability, who recently published her book Altas of the Heart. In this book, Brené Brown has devoted thirteen chapters to a kaleidoscopic medley of emotions. Here, too, she raised the topic of schadenfreude. How true: the undeniable-yet-so-guilty emotion during our struggle with schadenfreude toward unvaccinated people who get infected. That's a topic we don't talk about openly. At least not for a doctor like me.

No comments: