Sunday, October 31, 2021

Hikers

I remember, with exquisite clarity, the time my daughter away from home, joining the overnight school camp. Next come the five-day camp in the week ahead. 

That means we're busy preparing her backpack this weekend, handing her sleeping bag, camping lantern, inflatable mattress and all gadgets she will need. The fun of kayaking, challenging Pak Sin Leng hike, stand up paddle, as I muse, justify the physical separation with our daughter for five days.

The way nature has been woven into the fabric of her school and family lives means we don't stay home the day before the exciting camp. We took a ferry trip to Lantau today and hiked on a sunny afternoon. If I am honest with myself - actually honest, in the sort of way all parents can understand - I need to stay close to my daughter for one good outing before she stays away from home.

We've been fortunate to have an outdoorsy family. You may think my daughter might whine about hiking (again) before her school camp, but she doesn't. We enjoy life in as much harmony as we can find. Flowers and trees, butterflies and dragonflies, the sights, the sounds, the smell all so rich in wonder.

No comments: