Sunday, February 23, 2020

Marathon

First, a disclaimer. After reading this blog, you don't have to follow my type of "workouts."

Entertaining the thought of prescribing the same training intensity for runners, as I have recently learned from reading Hansons First Marathon, is the surefire way to let old injury rear its ugly head. Overzealous goal means taking two steps back for every step forward.

Yes. I asked myself question to get a clearer handle on my natural abilities. That's going to differ for individual. Let me say, with all the moderation I can summon: I am destined to work with minimal requirement of calories and drinks.

That is a crucial reason for my natural proclivity to work in the hospital high-risk areas where patients with suspected or confirmed coronavirus infection are staying. To handle the outbreak, doctors working with these patients are advised to wear the protective N95 masks. They're designed to protect both healthcare workers and patients, but are now in short supply. When I wear the N95 mask, I don't have to discard it after seeing each patient as long as it isn't contaminated or soiled. With little personal need to eat or drink during working hours myself, I have not much need to replace the mask. The truth is, I worked for almost ten hours yesterday with one single N95 mask.

This is not to say, of course, that we should be frivolous about infection control. Nor is my story meant to suggest that we permit hazardous working environment. Rather, this reminds us that each and everyone of us can check how to contribute in his or her own manner.

Know yourself. At your own pace. Don't force others to follow.

No comments: