Saturday, May 18, 2019

Race

If you want to soak up the summer MacLehose Trail scenery on foot, but are not quite up to the ultra endurance trail race, the Midsummer Race 1 is perfect, or so I was told.

Undulating but never steep, the 14km route near Shing Mun Reservoir takes in all sorts of terrain. It takes a bit of nerve, considering the season of this event when temperatures are hitting 34 degrees Celsius. It doesn't matter if you are elite or beginner - you're supposed to bring at least 1.5 litres of water.  

To begin with, I didn't read the instruction on racing gear carefully and brought next to nothing. A mobile phone, and that's all. I didn't bring water at all. Sniff. Sniff. To say that it's an oversight was an understatement. Seriously, one can simply lose marbles with dehydration, causing a rise in temperature until one’s brain is cooking on the inside.

Before long, I realized the trail race was more difficult than I'd imagined. That's a mix of concrete and trail. Muddy too. Racing against the clock is no easy feat. Being distracted could turn me into a Humpty Dumpty off the cliff in the blink of an eye. Instead of aiming for a personal best record, I told myself, I should aim for completing the race in one piece.

And I did. Indeed, so addled was I that I forgot to press the stopwatch the instant I crossed the finish line.

All in all this was a magical experience, of a kind I had never known before. 

No comments: