Thursday, July 12, 2018

Refugee

Take a few minutes to recall the photograph of the three-year-old Syrian refugee boy, Alan Kurdi, lying dead on the shore with his face turned to one side, and that image immediately pulls at our heartstrings. The image stuck with me and still haunted me three years after it made global headlines. That's a disheartening picture I'd never imagine sharing with my daughter. I might have fallen prey to unhealthy overprotective parental style - but who won't?

At the same time, I know I should not hide all news stories from my school-age kid. For example, I am not terrified of talking about twelve Thai boys and their soccer coach who were trapped inside a flooded cave. What makes this story even less scary is that they have now been rescued. Phew.

When it comes to teaching kids to face fears, the best way is explore the subject with a picture book written in a simple, child-friendly way. If you want to explore the subject of refugees with children - and there are good reasons to do so even if you aren't asylum seekers - the award-winning book My Name is Not Refugee is a must. After reading this book with my daughter last night, I've come to realize how a much-needed storyteller can create a comfortable read and yet with a just-right level of tension.

No comments: