Sunday, February 11, 2018

Recollection

One of my most vibrant parenthood memories is the sensation I'd have when I cradled my newborn in my arms.

And as much fun as it is now to go bike riding with my eight-year-old, there's an equal thrill in revisiting beloved moments at her newborn or toddler stage. Yesterday, a photograph popped up from the camera roll of the Facebook "On This Day" feature, reminding us of the very first time we took our daughter to Shatin Central Park on our own.

That picture of our two-month-old girl in mom's lap is easier to recall than those with minimal or mundane associations (for instance, the 123rd errand to buy diapers). Still, the picture itself is a profound reminder for me and my wife, the way an action potential firing magic spark across a synapse. There simply is no way to scroll down the Facebook News Feed and not be awestruck by the autobiographical memory.

If you don't have time to visit Facebook that often, an occasional detour to its time machine named "On This Day" is well worth exploring.

No comments: