Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Leaders

Wouldn't it be nice for a doctor to take an occasional break and learn something new? Perhaps.

That's exactly what I've been doing these two days.

A course on leadership. Inside a classroom chock full of books to borrow and read. I am learning a little more each day. Some materials are a bit complicated for dimwit like me, I must say. One might be tempted to say that I am exaggerating. I am not. When our teacher showed me the four quadrants of DiSC leadership style, I found myself as lost as Dori from Finding Nemo.

Luckily, I felt more confident after reading another book TouchPoints by the CEO of Campbell Soup Company. Douglas Conant uses a simpler schema: the tough-minded approach (tackling task head-on) and the tender-hearted approach (where people come first). I quickly figured out my style (tender-hearted) and my not-so-strong style.

If there was one great lesson learned from the leadership style theory, it was this: I am not to lower the volume where I'm strong but to dial up in the area where I'm less comfortable.

No comments: