Sunday, May 8, 2016

Trumpet

The British novelist C.S. Lewis once described the value of a book this way: "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally - and often far more - worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond."

With a single sentence he moves us to another level of reading, and to a new experience of reading.

To learn why a book should be read and reread for everyone who is aging (that's all of us), I've been combining my daughter's story book and my PowerPoint presentation (when I speak to adults, of course). Let me offer an example. The other day, I was invited to speak on the topic of informed consent in an annual signature event of my organization. My first few slides come from Mo Willems' book Listen to My Trumpet! In this wonderful picture book, Mo Willems describes how Piggie invites Gerald (Elephant buddy) to listen to his new trumpet, agog with enthusiasm.

When you go through the story, you get the buzz of excitement. What is the song about? What notes are being played with the new instrument?

But there comes a point (and I think of it as somewhat common in life) when things don't happen the way you were hoping they would happen. The musical notes are utterly incomprehensible to Gerald's ears.

"Bluuurrrk!" (Oh dear, you might ask, what is this song?)

"Gr-ark, qu-ark!
Gr-ark! (How so?)
Blap-zap-Blap-Blonk."

"So? What do you think of my trumpet?" Piggie is eager to ask for opinion by the time he has finished his masterpiece.

"Um … Your trumpet is –"

"Yes?"

"Your trumpet is LOUD," Gerald replies.

"And … ?"

"You, uh, hold your trumpet very well." Well, that's what Gerald can come up with after lots of hum and haw.

"And … !?"

Sometimes we have something important to say, something that we know "deep down in our bones" is true, and yet find it difficult to say. But at what cost? Gerald's discomfort may come from his worry about hurting Piggie. Here's how Gerald discloses his feeling: "So, I will tell you the truth. Your trumpet is loud and shiny and you hold it well - But ... that was not music. Sorry"

Who is more surprised after listening to Gerald's reaction? (Hey, Spoiler Alert!) Not Piggie, of course.

"Gerald," replied Piggie, "You think I am trying to make music? I am trying to speak Elephant! I want to sound like you."

Ohhhhhh. The relevation came suddenly. Elephant doesn't know what Piggie wants him to listen; elephant doesn't know what to tell his friend Piggie; Piggie wants to know something Elephant dare not to tell.

Well, looking at how the two of them misunderstand each other, they're pretty like how doctors and patients interact. Doctors want to inform patients, and yet don't really know what to tell. Replace the character Piggie by patient, and then Elephant by doctor in the relevation, and you'll know what I mean in my lecture.

No comments: