Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Dad

Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.

I can't recall who came up with such meaningful words, but I know it's my wife who gives me good chance to be Jasmine's special dad.

This Sunday, my wife lent me her bike so that we could roam on our own. There were only two of us, and not a lot of traffic on the bicycle trail (because that's the Lunar New Year's Eve). That way we were guaranteed a great time. Rapt with joy, my daughter started to feel a readiness with the slope and learned to shift gears when going upslope. And pressing on when downslope, instead of alighting.

If I need any more reason to thank my wife, there is her arranging the ski lesson for us this week in Korea. No, I'm not her coach this time, but I went through the steps with her. Snapping into skis, picking oneself up after fall, braking. Yep, this meant a lot to my six-year-old daughter who'd been rather nervous with the new sports game. There is never a greater moment than being there with the child when she's in need and fear.

No comments: