Sunday, December 6, 2015

Six

Few days ago, my daughter picked up a book at my study: Father to Daughter: Life Lessons on Raising a Girl. So we read together. We became absorbed in the lessons right away. After all, one of the precepts in this book is to be involved in the daughters' lives.

Now my daughter is six this week. I know that's a big milestone for a little girl, and I'm glad that she put on her roller skates for the first time on her birthday. I have always had faith that my wife will pick the best gift, such as new roller skates, for our daughter.

What about me? I couldn't think of a better poem than that written by A. A. Milne (who also wrote Winnie the Pooh and Friends), to celebrate Jasmine's sixth birthday: Now We Are Six.

When I was one,
 I had just begun.
When I was two,
 I was nearly new.
When I was three,
 I was hardly me.
When I was four,
 I was not much more.
When I was five,
 I was just alive.
But now I am six,
 I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six now and forever.

No comments: